It Takes A Village – VNV Monday: We the People – 3/20/17

Who are the Southern Democrats. I thought I take a moment and share the history of the Southern Democrat and how they morph into today’s Republican Party and identify as the White Middle Class voters Che Guevara Sanders is attempting to win over to his Pseudo Revolution.After the signing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act by President Johnson, he commented that the Democratic Party had lost the South for a very long time. After the lost of Mary Landrieu, Democrats lost the last vestige of Power. Hopefully, with the election of Jon Bel Edwards as Louisiana Governor,  Governor Roy Cooper and yes Terry McAuliffe in Virginia we can stem the tide.

Southern Democrats

Southern Democrats are members of the U.S. Democratic Party who reside in the American South.

In the 19th century, Southern Democrats comprised whites in the South who believed in Jeffersonian democracy. In the 1850s they defended slavery in the United States, and promoted its expansion into the West against northern Free Soil opposition. The United States presidential election of 1860 formalized the split, and brought war. After Reconstruction ended in the late 1870s they controlled all the Southern states and disenfranchised blacks (who were Republicans). The “Solid South” gave nearly all its electoral votes to Democrats in presidential elections. Republicans seldom were elected to office outside some Appalachian mountain districts and a few heavily German-American counties of Texas.[a]

The monopoly that the Democratic Party held over most of the South first showed major signs of breaking apart in 1948, when many Southern Democrats, dissatisfied with the policies of desegregation enacted during the administration of Democratic President Harry Truman, created the States Rights Democratic Party, which nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond for president and Mississippi Governor Fielding L. Wright for vice president. The “Dixiecrats” managed to win many Southern states, but collapsed as a party soon after the election. The Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson, a Democrat from the Southern state of Texas, led many Southern Democrats to vote for Goldwater at the national level. In the ensuing years, the increasing conservatism of the Republican Party compared to the liberalism of the Democratic Party led many more conservative white Democrats in the South to vote Republican. Many continued to vote for Democrats at the state and local levels for years after. By the start of the 21st century, Republicans had gained a solid advantage over Democrats at all levels of politics in most Southern states.

Today, Southern Democrats largely consist of blacks and those living in urban areas of the region.

Antebellum

The title of “Democrat” has its beginnings in the South, going back to the founding of the Democratic-Republican Party in 1793 by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. It held to small government principles and distrusted the national government. Foreign policy was a major issue. After being the dominant party in U.S. politics from 1800 to 1829, the Democratic-Republicans split into two factions by 1828: the federalist National Republicans, and the Democrats. The Democrats and Whigs were evenly balanced in the 1830s and 1840s. However, by the 1850s, the Whigs disintegrated. Other opposition parties emerged but the Democrats were dominant. Northern Democrats were in serious opposition to Southern Democrats on the issue of slavery; Northern Democrats, led by Stephen Douglas, believed in Popular Sovereignty—letting the people of the territories vote on slavery. The conservative Southern Democrats, reflecting the views of the late John C. Calhoun, insisted slavery was national.

The Democrats controlled the national government from 1852 until 1860, and Presidents Pierce and Buchanan were friendly to Southern interests. In the North, the newly formed anti-slavery Republican Party came to power, and dominated the electoral college. In the 1860 presidential election, the Republicans nominated Abraham Lincoln, but the divide among Democrats led to the nomination of two candidates: John C. Breckinridge of Kentucky represented Southern Democrats, and Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois represented Northern Democrats. Nevertheless, the Republicans had a majority of the electoral vote regardless of how the opposition split or joined together and Abraham Lincoln was elected.

Who are We: I recommend reading the this article to get a better understanding of the demographics in play to counter the the Imperial Wizard of the Modern Day Klan Congressman Steve King of Iowa.

53 comments for “It Takes A Village – VNV Monday: We the People – 3/20/17

March 20, 2017 at 9:41 am

{{{Philly}}} – Thank you for the Monday VNV – I grew up in the South and have lived most of my life here, so I watched what you are reporting happen from 1960 on. I have never understood racism (sexism, xenophobia, homophobia…) but I am not so blinded by white privilege to not see that it’s real. And deadly.

Glad you listed some wins. We need the energy to help us keep Resisting. As with the early days of WW2, there aren’t a lot of them and some of them come more under “prevented worse damage” than actual wins (like saving the British Army at Dunkirk) – but they lift the morale and give us the heart to go on.

Need to check in a few places – and get some work I’m paid for done – but I’ll be back. Shortly I hope. moar {{{HUGS}}}

2. wordsinthewind
    March 20, 2017 at 10:04 am

thanks Philly for the very interesting diary this morning. Like bfitz I grew up in the south and watched as the Democratic Party quit supporting bigotry and people flocked to the welcoming open arms of the Republican party. In fact when anyone tells me that they didn’t leave Democratic Party the party left them I always correct them that when the Democratic Party quit supporting racism bigots found a warm welcome in the Republican Party.

March 20, 2017 at 10:42 am

{{{wordsinthewind}}} – Apparently somebody has to welcome the folks who know themselves to be so inferior they have to make laws holding other folks down so they can “win” and boast of their superiority. It was never that much of a stretch for the Rs to do it – they’ve always believed in the “superiority” of white male christian property owners – all they had to do was open their doors to the superior wannabees.

The Dems started moving away from that with FDR. People point out the racism so prevalent in his administration and they are correct, but you’ve got to start somewhere. FDR had an unofficial “Black Cabinet” to work on “improving the lot of the Negro” – both CCC and WPA programs hired Black folks, in integrated camps where feasible. (At equal pay which royally pissed off the Southern Dems.) So our history – Dem Party – is one of starting in a bad place, slowly moving towards a good place even though we are nowhere near good yet just better, and shedding more of the Deplorables with every step forward. I can’t say I’m proud of my party’s history, but I’m very proud of its progress. :) and moar {{{HUGS}}}

• shenagig
        March 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I grew up in the North…about as far north as you can go and still be in the continental US…the very tip top of MN that juts into Canada…I never saw a black person until our small town got a Radar Base installed near by…I was in grade school and the man was very dark…poor guy I clearly remember staring at him with my month open…plenty of racism there too though…my Dad especially…while I absorbed the institutional racism that surrounded me and still fight that I don’t ever remember hating black people out right like my Dad and others did…never could figure that out…still can’t…
        Oh thanks Philly for the post…I need to read closer after I get some coffee…

March 20, 2017 at 12:10 pm

{{{shenagig}}} – lots of racism up north. My mother, in her youth, bought the North good/South bad on that – she was born in IN and lived there her first decade. Which of course included IN’s version of history in public elementary school. Over the years she got over it. My daddy had that peculiar racism of some southerners – hate the race but like/respect the individuals he knew – but most certainly was adamant about there being racism in the north as he discovered in the war years when he was stateside doing officer then pilot training (in those days only officers could be pilots).

I was partly raised by the Black lady who took care of us while Momma was at work – to me she was just another adult to be obeyed – and I’ve never really understood racism. Acknowledge it, absolutely. Understand it, no.

3. inkaudlay
    March 20, 2017 at 10:25 am

Thanks, batch!

Great information.

March 20, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Let this be a lesson to us all. Never thank the diary poster before having at least two cups of a caffeinated beverage.

THANK YOU, Philly76!

Oh, and Doh!

March 20, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Well, you made me look, but I too will blame that on lack of caffeine!

March 20, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Maybe I should play it safe and just say, ‘thanks!’ instead. ;)

• Philly76
        March 20, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Batch and I look alike lol, thanks

March 20, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Two cuties (in a manly way of course) :)

March 20, 2017 at 5:06 pm

{{{inkaudlay}}} – well, I managed to miss that you’d posted a comment at all until now – yes, more caffeine would have been a good idea. moar {{{HUGS}}}

March 20, 2017 at 10:45 am

Good morning and thanks for the excellent post, Philly. When someone says “I didn’t leave the Democratic Party, it left me”, that’s code for “I’m a racist. Please avoid me.” Which I do. High expected of 68 and rain returning to the valley. That’s a great way to start the week.

March 20, 2017 at 11:28 am

{{{WYgalinCali}}} – that phrase actually originated with (the few) Rs leaving an increasingly racist and anti-government R party. Funny how the Deplorables keep co-opting good words and phrases to “dog-whistle” into bad ones. And you are correct in your interpretation of what a ‘former dem’ means by it.

We’re doing early summer today and tomorrow (highs in the 80s) with Spring (highs in the 60s) – and supposedly rain – starting Wednesday. Glad you are having a good start to the week. moar {{{HUGS}}}

5. MomentaryGrace
    March 20, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Hi Meeses, happy Monday. ;) Thank you Philly76 for the history of Southern Democrats. I grew up in the big city, in one of those urban blue islands in the wide southern red sea, during the days of the Civil Rights movement, school integration in it’s many strange forms and all the rest. I knew that “we” were Democrats and that Republicans were “bad”, a notion encouraged and solidified by Richard M. Nixon.

My family did not talk politics so I learned whatever I knew from what I saw, heard and read. My mother was not political but she was intelligent and educated, unconventional, a divorce’, and an alcoholic. I learned to play Abraham, Martin and John on the guitar and believed that all decent people mourned the lights that were snuffed out by the darkness.

When I was in junior high Houston experienced race riots in the schools and I had my own experience of being sent home on a bus in the middle of the day because the riots had shut down the high school which was up the road from our middle school. A group of black kids roaming the street near another of the schools which was on our route home saw our bus stopped at a light and attacked it, threw rocks and boards and bottles at the preteens looking at them out of the windows. Some of the kids were hurt and cut by objects and broken window glass. All of us were traumatized.

I was left along with all of us wondering why. Not “why did they hate white people” but why attack kids younger than themselves, what threat did we pose? Looking back as an adult I know that was too simple a question. The built up rage of oppression doesn’t take much provocation. We were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Those experiences did not teach me to hate a race of people.

When I was 16 I met the person who would end up being my life partner and soul mate. Forty plus years with her taught me a great deal that I likely would not have had the same kind of personal access to had we never met. Those experiences took me further. But that’s a deeper story than can be shared in a comment.

March 20, 2017 at 2:13 pm

{{{MomentaryGrace}}} – when did that happen and what part of Houston? I was in high school when we seriously started integrating but we didn’t have any violence where I was. (Hartman jr. hi and Jones High School) – I was at least as gormless as I am now about paying attention to such things but I’m pretty sure I’d have noticed violence. Of course Jones was pretty much integrated in a natural way – the neighborhoods surrounding it were integrating so the varying races showing up at school were just our neighbors.

Hearing that you two have had such an strong and enduring relationship – well, best way I can describe it is it makes me fell warm and happy inside. moar {{{HUGS}}}

March 20, 2017 at 3:14 pm

This would have been around 1970 or so. I lived in northeast Houston, in what was at the time called the Northeast Houston Independent School District, which later became North Forest Independent School Distract, and which has finally been subsumed into HISD. At the time the area was poor white, with an increasing black population. School integration was resisted and all kinds of workarounds were used to stave it off but I went to an integrated jr high, Kirby, which became a middle school when my 9th grade class was taken into the high school, M.B.Smiley.

At the time of the bus incident, I think my sister had already graduated from the same HS and was probably in her first year of college at UH.

Kirby was down the street from Smiley, which is where the riots occurred, and spread to the other jr high in the district, Northwood. We didn’t usually pass by Northwood on our route but our driver had gone around to avoid Smiley campus.

I’ve done some searching online and not found much mention of this particular incident on any website or news stories, the district was outside Houston proper (which it really isn’t any more) but it was definitely part of the unrest that was happening in Houston during this period.

Small scale, as riots go, I guess. Cops were called and people were hurt at the HS campus, there were probably arrests, and school was shut down for the day. Smiley maybe longer.

Here’s something from the Wikipedia page for North Forest ISD, which is sparse as the district is now defunct, but some of the background is what I remember.

The district originally had a low-income rural white population. Schools were segregated until the late 1960s.[6] By the 1970s, when the area was suburban and still mostly white, the state mandated racial integration of schools. African-American families moved to North Forest for the schools.[1] After desegregation, many white families moved to other communities along U.S. Highway 59, such as Aldine, Humble, and Porter,[6] and African-American families became the majority and gained political control of NFISD.[6] By the late 1970s it was one of the largest black-run school districts in the state;[7] on October 12, 1989, it became the largest.[8]

I left in 1974 when my mom who either quit, or was fired from her teaching contract at HISD (I’m honestly not sure which, she was a secretive person about a lot of things) sold our house and moved us into HISD. I changed high schools starting at Sam Houston in 10th grade, where I met VonsterTX.

She and I have been together more or less since, not counting my first year of college when I went “away” to go to Tyler Jr College, for Reasons. We moved into our first apt when I came back in 1977 and have lived together ever since, during some periods with other roommates.

She’s the best thing I ever accomplished. Also the only human I actually really trust.

March 20, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I graduated in in May 1970 and left Houston in September (moved to Austin). Houston has always been made up of neighborhoods sort of corralled by the city limits and I never knew exactly what part of Houston I lived in. I can give you the names of my schools, but that’s it.

Back in the 1940s when my mother’s family moved to Houston there were 2 high schools named with considerable lack of imagination North and South – with North being the more “upper class” as usual in southern states after the Civil War. North became Sam Houston. South became San Jacinto, where my mother went, my next sister down went, and even I went for one semester.

Again, your relationship with VonsterTX makes me warm inside. I don’t know of anyone in my family who’s had a relationship like that, even the ones who stayed together for that long or longer. I certainly haven’t. But it is good, it is heart-warming, to know that they exist. moar {{{HUGS}}}

March 20, 2017 at 7:45 pm

My mom was born in Houston, as, I think, were her parents. I was born in Dallas, with Mom, me and sis moving here when I was 5, because Mom could get a job with HISD. Thus while not born here I’ve lived here all my life. V was born here.

We’re old souls together, or it feels like that. We were born 7 days apart. I know I am blessed.

{{{{{{bfitz}}}}}}}

March 20, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Momma was born in Princetown, IN and Daddy in Slick, OK – but they met in Houston and all 5 of us were born there and grew up there. My next sister down and I shifted to Austin when we finished public school. My sister’s still in the Austin area. My brother’s been in FL for getting close to 40 years now. My youngest sister has been outside Waco for about 30 years. And the 4th one down finally left the Houston base (both her husbands were petroleum engineers so they were posted all over the glob) for Dallas when her current husband retired last year.

There are people in this world you just recognize. Rarely it becomes a long-term and close relationship. Even more rarely the relationship is “romantic” or whatever the heck you want to call it. Mostly it’s an “oh hai!” and a sharing of paths for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of years. I’ve had that “oh hai” recognition enough times to know it’s real, even if mine were of the shorter-term sharing of paths rather than a long-term close commitment. They are all blessings, but the long-term one is the greatest blessing. {{{MomentaryGrace}}}

March 20, 2017 at 2:14 pm

{{{{MomentaryGrace}}}

What an inspiring story…

March 20, 2017 at 3:16 pm

{{{{{{{basket}}}}}}}}

I guess we take inspiration where we can get it. :)

It was a strange time, but then in hindsight all times seems to be strange times, don’t they? Look at now…

March 20, 2017 at 4:20 pm

{{{{Momentary Grace and VonsterTex}}}}

March 20, 2017 at 7:48 pm

{{{{{{{{{inkaudlay}}}}}}}}}
    March 20, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Hi Village Meese and thanks for the diary Philly76

March 20, 2017 at 2:39 pm

{{{basket}}} – Hi back and glad to see you. Hope you are recovering from your re-introduction to how toxic the atmosphere in America is these days. moar {{{HUGS}}}

March 20, 2017 at 3:19 pm

{{{{{{{{{hey basket}}}}}}}}}
      March 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Oh hai, basket.

Glad you’re here.

7. Mvgal92691
    March 20, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Great article Philly76!

March 20, 2017 at 4:30 pm

{{{Mvgal92691}}} – Happy Spring/Ostara.

• Mvgal92691
        March 20, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Hai bfitz- Happy Spring!

March 20, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Hi, Mvgal92691!

• Mvgal92691
        March 20, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Hai inkaudlay!

March 20, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Hi, Meeses! I haven’t been around much; just general busy-ness plus two posts to write for tomorrow and chapters to read for my Lenten study group. Reading Dr. Barber’s book right now is proving to be good timing; when I get discouraged by the headlines, I always find something in his book to re-energize me.

I’ve been peeking at Twitter today when I have a few spare moments, and it looks like the Republicans are showing their true colors…power before country; party before country; and lies before truth.

March 20, 2017 at 4:40 pm

{{{DoReMI}}} – you popped up just as I was about to go check something else! Great timing. Thank you as always for pulling double duty. Glad Dr. Barber’s book is energizing. He’s political without exactly being political. The concept of what the right/honorable/good thing to do with the knowledge of politics for helping it happen. As Hillary said, change policy, allocate resources – that’s where the real change happens. Maybe we pick up a heart or mind after the fact, but that’s just a bonus.

As to the Rs, the only thing new is their blatant display of what they’ve been for decades. They feel that secure in their power grab to show the country, and the world, just who they are. Well, the Resistance is about prying their grubby, bloody, fingers off that power and cleaning up the mess they’re making. As usual. sigh but moar {{{HUGS}}}

9. Captain Black Dog
    March 20, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Philly! Inspiring :)

I picture Morpheus – But what if I told you, it wasn’t it wasn’t the Democratic party that left the WWC male because they were evil corporate whores; it was the WWC male who left the Democratic party because he was turned off by civil rights, equality for women and intersectional politics.

Isn’t that what people are saying when they claim Dems don’t have a message which resonates with the people? The message seems to resonate just fine with certain, non-white people. So it’s really that white people don’t care about these issues, and they admit it when they claim Dems stand for nothing. And not only that, these people don’t even feel neutral about the issue, they disagree with inclusion and equality so much they choose to vote Repub because Dems support it.

March 20, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Yep and Fierced Captain Black Dog!! Totally spot on.

March 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm

{{{CBD}}} – that is the exact truth. When they say the Dems don’t have a message that’s just one more dog whistle to the Deplorables. These are the ones whose abiding faith that can’t be moved is “if it does anything good for minorities, it’s bad for me – if it’s does bad stuff to minorities, it’s good for me”. And we not only do not need them, they are a danger to us. They would do nothing but destroy us trying to remake the party in the Rs’ image.

March 20, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Excellent point, bfitz.

‘And we not only do not need them, they are a danger to us.’

March 20, 2017 at 5:20 pm

That’s the underlying threat of the Extreme Left by whatever name – they are a danger to us as a party. They are a danger to any party that supports Freedom and Justice for All or a “support the general well fare” that gives equal treatment to minorities. They are the mirror image of the Extreme Right – the only difference between the two as far as tactics or philosophy goes is the Extreme Left wants government to control everything and the Extreme Right wants Business to control everything. Both are racists, sexists, xenophobic, homophobic, isolationist, authoritarians. (And can you imagine me saying that at DK? yeah, right.)

March 20, 2017 at 5:24 pm

The ban-hammer would drop.

March 20, 2017 at 6:48 pm

If it didn’t I’d not only be surprised, I’d leave anyway. Too many good Village folks have been banned for less. Somehow the community needs stuff I do seems to impress the Admins and I’ve only gotten a couple of reprimands – mostly for rec’ing something that was later gang-flagged.- but either they’d take action on that one or I’d give up on their integrity altogether.

March 20, 2017 at 7:51 pm
        March 20, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Grace!

How do you put gifs in Moose comments???

Asking for a friend.

10. Philly76
    March 20, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Glad the articles provided some context for what is happening to day, thanks for comments.

March 20, 2017 at 5:04 pm

11. inkaudlay
    March 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm

How to isten to FBI Director James Comey’s Testimony Monday

Having watched some of the testimony and from reading various recaps, I pick door number three in the article.

March 20, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Since I’ve only picked things up from a few tweets here and there, I’m thankful for your viewpoint.

March 20, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Be sure to add a grain of salt to my opinions. ;)

• Mvgal92691
        March 20, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Joy Reid did a great tweet storm blow by blow of the hearing.

March 20, 2017 at 6:54 pm

She was, as always, awesome.

March 20, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I just went back and read through all of Joy’s tweets, and she agrees with you about Door #3, Ink, so no salt needed!

March 21, 2017 at 5:18 pm

WOW! A salt-free comment. ;)