In the parallel universe that is Covid-free, today is Ride day. As with all things, it’s different this year. Yes, I’m going to get out & do something but it won’t be 11 miles of wildflowers in the gorgeous Texas hill country. Riding around my neighborhood just isn’t the same. But what’s really exciting is this $10,000 match for Ride day! Please donate at my HCRA page if you can!
Beginning at 9am central time: Donations will DOUBLE up to $250/donation until the matching funds are all used up!
So, if you can donate anything, any amount at all — please do so today.
Below are just some of the many services your donation dollars do for thousands in our Central Texas community. Please donate at my HCRA page after 9am central time.
LOOK AT THE POWER OF EVERY DOLLAR!
- Covers one rapid HIV test – we know that 40% of people who are HIV+ don’t know it yet. Through testing, we can get them into life saving care, and further reduce the spread of the HIV virus.
- Food voucher for emergency needs – many of those living with HIV are also living in poverty, and can’t afford their medication and nutritious food. This makes sure they get the food they need.
- Medical co-payment for one patient – keeping people in consistent medical care keeps them healthy and connected to services. We know this saves lives.
- Buys someone nutritious food for one month – A month of nutritious food allows someone living with HIV to focus on staying healthy without worrying about the basic need of having enough to eat.
- Pays for a one month supply of medical prescription co-pays – Medications can reduce the patients viral load and keep them undetectable.
- Provides a counseling and support group session for someone newly diagnosed – We know that many feel isolated when first diagnosed, and that staying social and connected gets people into care earlier, allowing them to stay healthy.
- Provides prevention education for 440 people – 20% of Americans still believe you can catch HIV from drinking after someone. 60% say they are unsure what safe sex is. Education is one of the most important tools in reducing new infections.
- Pays for a specialty medical appointment – Many people with HIV/AIDS have unique medical complications. Access to specialty medical providers is a critical part of holistic care.
- Provides life skills training – This helps people who are well to learn to present themselves in a job interview, find housing, learn to read, gain computer training, learn nutrition, and discover their self esteem.
- Keeps someone healthy with one month of medications – Medications can reduce the patients viral load and keep them undetectable.
- Provides 7 hours of outreach to find people and get them into care – If you are homeless or unemployed, your HIV may not be at the top of list of your priorities. By finding people and making sure they get the care they need, lives are saved.
- Provides 3 family counseling sessions – It can be devastating for a family when a member is diagnosed, and we know that an intact family unit promotes health and provides a built in support network.
If you donate $250, it becomes $500 — and look what that does, so please donate if you can:
- Pays for a month of rent for one family in supportive housing – Assistance with food, daily chores, trips to medical appointments, and social support create a foundation for continued health and a step toward independence.
- Gives 225 home cooked meals for hospice patients – When in hospice, there are often unique food needs. You can make sure that final days are spent with favorite, delicious meals that don’t upset someone’s stomach.
And yes, I’m posting a U2 video. This song makes me feel like I can fly, if I was facing the hills out by Krause Springs, I’d play this in my head to get me over them. My neighborhood is flat by Austin standards — which means not flat but there’s nothing like the hills out there. Anyway, there’s no message in the song, it is purely because I love it. Please donate at my HCRA page. Any amount, anything at all.