Week-long Welcomings from Moosylvania: Jan. 13th through Jan. 19th

Welcome to The Moose Pond! The Welcomings posts give the Moose, old and new, a place to visit and share words about the weather, life, the world at large and the small parts of Moosylvania that we each inhabit.

Welcomings will be posted at the start of each week (usually Saturday night with a Sunday date). To find the posts, just bookmark this link and Voila! (which is Moose for “I found everyone!!”).

The format is simple: each day, the first moose to arrive on-line will post a comment welcoming the new day and complaining (or bragging!) about their weather. Or mentioning an interesting or thought provoking news item. Or simply checking in.

So … what’s going on in your part of Moosylvania?

NOTE: The comments page will now split off after 20 or so left margin comments with the most recent comments on the current page. To see the older comments, scroll to the bottom of the page and use the link.

• Page One of Comments is HERE!

43 comments for “Week-long Welcomings from Moosylvania: Jan. 13th through Jan. 19th

1. January 15, 2019 at 8:29 am

Good Tuesday morning, Meese! The sun is rising mistily behind the woods under a clear, pale blue winter sky. Although a lot of snow has dropped off the bare trees, there’s still plenty of it around.

Had lots of trouble with the Internet this morning, which drove me to fury. I expect everything to work all the time unless there is war, insurrection, an earthquake, or other such disaster. However, we’re back up and running now.

Still beside myself because of the shutdown, thinking of all the people who are suffering because without a paycheck they cannot buy their food or medicine or pay for their living quarters. HOW did we get to this stage? Thing is ruining this country! Can it ever be restored? And my Goddess, we can’t wait until 2020 for the government to reopen! We could all be dead by then from contaminated water and food. I wish someone would arrest McTurtle.

Well, that’s this morning’s rant. Planning to work on a couple of articles this morning and I have another interview to conduct this afternoon. As for the book, I have reluctantly concluded that neither India nor Kashmir will do as a setting for Chapter 19. Even my horoscope this morning agrees: “Turning an imaginative thought into reality could be challenging, even for you.”

Wishing a good day to all at the Pond.

• JanF
      January 15, 2019 at 9:29 am

LOL at “even for you”!! How dare they? :)

January 15, 2019 at 10:27 am

Good morning, Meesefolk; 28 and headed all the way up to 32. The grey has returned, and there’s a light fog too. It looks like we might get some snow this weekend along with some really, really cold temperatures, so I’ll need to plan a weekend of stay-at-home activities, which suits me just fine.

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn’t matter a bit, but seeing the piles of cold fast food (purchased by Individual 1 out of his own pocket, we’ve been [proudly?] informed) for the Clemson players says more than was probably intended. Does this mean the WH chef is furloughed or just sidelined once again? Is that what we are all to aspire to, while oligarchs enjoy whatever-they-want? Is this the food equivalent of throwing paper towels to the folks in PR? I’m not going to lose any sleep over this particular embarrassment, but it does provide a strong contrast with the menus served by the Obamas. It’s certainly a reminder that you can’t buy class.

Good day to and for all!

• JanF
      January 15, 2019 at 12:20 pm

I hope that the young men from Clemson – and anyone who witnessed that – see the evidence that wealth and white male privilege do not automatically mean class. Even if the chef is furloughed (I doubt it) you can order real meals from restaurants in the DC area and have them delivered – there are entire new industries built on that premise. A lot of the mockery was about the fast food but in my opinion the real grossness was that the food items were still in their paper wrappers and not under any kind of heat lamp; I am sure they were globs of coagulated fat by the time they were consumed. And it is pretty rude to assume that any college kids want to eat that crap much less elite athletes. I am no longer embarrassed by what Individual 1 does and am just counting the days to when he gets off my TV screen and Internet news feed.

January 15, 2019 at 12:58 pm

When I feel a twinge of embarrassment, I hope that the tRumpsters in my family are feeling the same thing. But they’re not. Most of the time it’s because owning the libs is all they care about, but I’d love to know how they spin this (I’m not going to contact any of them to find out). I suppose they’d say it’s an example of his generosity while the Dems are “playing in PR” or doing nothing to end the shutdown they’ve caused by prioritizing “illegals” over Real Americans . They’re so divorced from reality at this point that it’s anybody’s guess.

3. princesspat
    January 15, 2019 at 10:50 am

Good morning, 41 and will be sunny in Deer Harbor, Wa. We arrived on Sunday afternoon and are starting to feel rested. We used to stay here on the boat, but our cabin on the hill overlooking the marina is more comfortable! RonK went for a hike with his camera yesterday while i enjoyed the hot tub on the deck. Then we drove across the island to Eastsound, which was totally foggy. The bookstore we used to go to is still there, and the “new” coffee area made it even more inviting.

Ron’s got another hike planned for today and I’m going to keep reading Michelle Obama’s book, Becoming. My daughter listen to the book and loved the experience, but I’m just reading and loving doing so. It’s good to be in her world again.

Best wishes to all.

January 15, 2019 at 11:01 am

48 with high of 52 and drizzling. Today is going to be a long day.

January 15, 2019 at 11:35 am

28 and gray in Fay., AR – although it’s lighter than it has been and trying to get lighter still. We never got above freezing yesterday and I’m not sure we will today. We generated just under 2 KWHs yesterday bringing the m-t-d to just under 60 – it’s just over 60 now and the day is enough lighter than it’s been the last 3 that this morning’s driblet of .78 KWH is more than the entirety of the 11th. Progress.

Worried about my online family. Not that it helps much. At least I’m not seeing it helping much. But as long as they can keep on keepin’ on, I can keep on Channeling and praying and lighting “purposed” candles. The Universe has got to get tired of doing bad things to good people soon, right? As my online family, so the nation. sigh. Keepin’ on keepin’ on.

My schedule is now set – every morning except Friday with occasional extra hours in the afternoon when there are lunch/afternoon meetings. So I need to get back to work. Once I get some more coffee. Healing Energy to everybody everywhere shaped to their need. Bright the day, Meeses. {{{HUGS}}}

6. Mvgal92691
    January 15, 2019 at 5:27 pm

I’m still getting up early. My body still thinks this sucks. It rained yesterday. It rained on my way to work. It’s supposedly to rain again. Doesn’t the weather understand I’m a SoCal and too much rain and I’ll melt the Wicked Witch of the West. It’s 59 degrees here in Costa Mesa with more rain coming any minute. Yes I understand we really need the rain. I like rain. I don’t like driving in rain. SoCal driver’s solution to rain is to drive faster so they can get home sooner and out of the rain. Those in live in rain & snow areas can see the flaw in this plan. Along with my hand and wrist (thank you car accident from 2013) I end up driving in the rain with 1 1/2 hands on the wheel. Not my ideal. Sorry for being such a grouch. I’ll feel better and behave much nicer with some tylenol in me.